Alexander Hansen wrote:
Have all of the wrinkles been ironed out of the Apple X11 patch script
yet, so that I can add a recommendation to the docs?
I think the discussion of the install_name bug has been too much on the optimistic side. There had been some anecdotal evidence that the bug leads to build crashes here and now and not only maybe sometime in the future, and I have now seen one with my own eyes:

mkdir .libs
gcc -Wall -g -O2 -o allwidgets allwidgets.o  -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -lXt -lXpm -lXext -lXmu -L/sw/lib -lXaw3d ../Mowitz/.libs/libMowitz.a -lXaw3d -lXpm -lXmu -lXext -lXt -lX11 -lSM -lICE -lm
ld: ../Mowitz/.libs/libMowitz.a(MwSlider.o) illegal reference to symbol: _XmuCvtStringToOrientation defined in indirectly referenced dynamic library /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.6.dylib
Note that -lXmu is there on the command line, but libXmu.6.dylib is nevertheless considered as "indirectly referenced". It is referenced by one of the other libraries (maybe libXaw3d) that was built against a non-Apple version of X11.

This crash goes away after Ben's install_name_fix script is run.

So maybe the wording "...bug in the install name of the libraries that can cause some software to build incorrectly" is too friendly. This one doesn't build "incorrectly", it doesn't build at all.