Jeremy Erwin wrote:
On Saturday, February 1, 2003, at 10:48  PM, Ashley Yakeley wrote:
[]
I really see this as a simple sanity check on the dpkg. There are very
few packages that install outside of %p and no other package info files
need be affected.

jeremy@callisto:/sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/x11- system]$ fink validate xfree86-base_4.2.1.1-4_darwin-powerpc.deb
Validating .deb file xfree86-base_4.2.1.1-4_darwin-powerpc.deb...
Warning: File "/usr/" installed outside of /sw
Warning: File "/usr/X11R6/" installed outside of /sw
Warning: File "/usr/X11R6/bin/" installed outside of /sw
How many lines here? After how many lines do you stop looking at warnings?

etc.

I think that should suffice for validation.
The problem is that to be of any use, you would have to run this validation before installing the package, i.e. between the build phase of the deb and the install phase. For every package, every time. It wouldn't be enough that the package maintainer does it, as in the case we are discussing here, where there was no file outside the fink directory when I built the package, but there was one when Ashley built it.

How to do the validation? Ask the user about each file outside of /sw? For all 7790 of them in the case of xfree86? Or do it automatically by including a list of all files in the package description, as RPM or darwinports are doing it? And how to generate such a file list, automatically with the risk of bugs, or by hand as a punishment for packagers? Or just introduce a global yes/no permission for installing files outside of /sw? The latter would have caught the bug that started this thread, but what is the likelihood that such a thing will be reappear in a sufficiently similar way?

I don't yet see a possibility that is at the same time practical and useful.