Jeff,

What I've just done with the major teTeX upgrade is to put a lot of
"Replaces" and "Provides" lines but almost no "Conflicts" lines.

What this does is enables the user to upgrade without dpkg complaining.
Any file which exists in one of the old packages and also exists in
the new package is overwritten when the user upgrades.

A problem could arise if there are stray files in the old versions which
are not replaced during this process, and whose presence would mess up
the program.  I'm pretty sure this won't be a problem with teTeX, but
we'd have to investigate things carefully in the case of XFree86.

However, even in this situation, users could be told that after they
upgrade, they need to remove their old version with "fink remove".
This might actually be a better path than advising them to use the
--force-depends facility in dpkg.

  -- Dave