Dear Fink folks,

Yesterday saw a major new release of teTeX, and there are new Fink packages
for this release in the unstable tree.  Users should be aware that upgrading
to these new packages will require the download of 80 MB of source files,
and substantial compiling time.

If you are upgrading from a previous teTeX installation on Fink, you will
most likely need to reinstall one of the packages in the middle of the
upgrade.  There is a warning message which tells you what to do, when
this is necessary.

If you wish to use teTeX with X11 disabled, you should install the new
"tetex-nox" package.  If you just try to install this directly, though,
you'll be forced to install X11 while some of the component pieces are
being built.  To get around this problem, you can download the two files

  http://www.cgtp.duke.edu/~drm/software/tetex-dev_2.0-1_darwin-powerpc.deb
  http://www.cgtp.duke.edu/~drm/software/tetex-shlibs_2.0-1_darwin-powerpc.deb

and install them by issuing the commands

  sudo dpkg -i /path/to/tetex-dev_2.0-1_darwin-powerpc.deb
  sudo dpkg -i /path/to/tetex-shlibs_2.0-1_darwin-powerpc.deb

Once this has been done, "tetex-nox" can be built and installed without
installing X11.

The previous "bundle-tetex" package has been replaced by a new "tetex"
package, and many of the old pieces (tetex-macosx, context, pdftex, etc.)
are now contained directly in tetex-base.

Note to users of xdvi: teTeX now contains a version of xdvi, so there is
no need to install a separate package.  However, this is a different version
than the one which has been available in Fink recently, and I would appreciate
knowing if there is any demand for the "original" version as an alternative.

I would appreciate feedback on these new packages.  I'd like to be able to
move them to the stable tree as soon as possible, so that binaries can be
released (which will make installation much easier for all).

  -- Dave