Hi Yuhua,

On Thursday, February 20, 2003, at 06:04  PM, Yuhua Su wrote:

Hi,

I am currently running Mac OS 10.1.5 and have no desire to upgrade to Jaguar at this moment.
But you must be aware, that fink is no longer maintained on 10.1.5. Thus not everything will work out of the box as time passes by and you will not get any new/updated packages via fink.

 As I asked earlier, I couldn’t downlaod xdvi via the following site.

curl -f -L -O ftp://ftp.math.berkeley.edu/pub/Software/TeX/xdvi-22.61.tar.gz
> curl: (19) xdvi-22.61.tar.gz: No such file or directory.
> ### execution of curl failed, exit code 19
> Downloading the file "xdvi-22.61.tar.gz" failed.

I just asked the computer guy at Berkeley and he said “The site ftp.math.berkeley.edu only keeps the most recent three versions of xdvi; older ones are deleted.  The fink package should refer to xdvi.tar.gz, which is always a symlink to the most recent version.”
It is not that easy. Generally there are some modifications necessary to the source packages in order to build them on Mac OS X. And these modifications may change for a newer version of the package.

I tried to run Fink’s update but nothing changed.  While trying to install lyx after the update, it still went to the old version which doesn’t exist now!  So would you please inform me how to make Fink go to the new version manually?  I mean, by issuing certain command on Terminal or by other means.  I really appreciate your help.
You can try to manually download the old version xdvi-22.61.tar.gz from somewhere else. Google gives for example http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/fink/direct_download/source/ ?sort_by=name&sort=desc . Once you downloaded the file you can put it into /sw/src where fink should find it.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Remi

Intelligence is like a four-wheel drive vehicle: it allows you to get
stuck in much more remote places.

Remigius K. Mommsen e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
University of California, Irvine URL: http://cern.ch/mommsen
c/o SLAC voice: ++1 (650) 926-3595
2575 Sand Hill Road #35 mobile: ++1 (650) 387-1402
Menlo Park, CA 94025, US fax: ++1 (650) 926-8522