this might do as well for you:

edit /sw/etc/fink.conf so it includes the following lines:

KeepBuildDir: true
KeepRootDir: true

this will keep both: the build directory (where you'd type make) and the install directory (where fink installs the files before building a deb)

hope that helps

mathias

I'm doing some development of an existing package.

I'd like to modify the source in place and then have fink "re-build and
install" without re-extracting the source. How do I do that?

cd ~
zcat /sw/src/vice-1.10.tar.gz | tar xvf -
cp -r vice-1.10 vice-new
cd vice-new
patch -p1 < /sw/fink/10.2/local/main/finkinfo/vice-1.10-1.patch
(make changes, make a test buiild, etc)
make distclean
diff -ruN vice-1.10 vice-new > /sw/fink/10.2/local/main/finkinfo/vice-1.10-2.patch

(clean up the patch file, if desired)
(bump up the Revision number of the info file)

fink update vice
Jeremy