David Alan Hjelle wrote:
Hello.

I was trying to install the placeholder package (system-xfree86) via Fink today and I seem to be having some problems. dselect seems to indicate that the file should be over a megabyte in size, but the downloaded file system-xfree86_4.2-1_darwing-powerpc.deb seems to be very small - only a few kilobytes.

3kB is about right.

I would not have been aware of this except that I received this error in trying to install the package from dselect:

What did it say before the part you are showing?

dpkg: error processing /sw/var/cache/apt/archives/system-
xfree86_4.2-1_darwin-powerpc.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
 /sw/var/cache/apt/archives/system-xfree86_4.2-1_darwin-powerpc.deb
E: Sub-process /sw/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

You're welcome, but the fink-beginners list would be more suitable for this kind of problem.