This is a wild stab in the dark, but today I had a compilation that relied on atlas fail. I looked at the web page and found this:

http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/errata.html#osxg77

Missing symbols when linking with g77 on OS X.
When linking AltiVec-enabled code under OS X using g77, I got missing symbols such as:
/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
restFP
saveFP
The fix requires you to find where OS X keeps your system libs. I found this out by linking with cc -v , which causes it to print out full paths. With this information, edit your Make.ARCH file, and change the following macros, substituting your path for mine, and :
FLINKER = $(F77)
FLINKFLAGS = -L/usr/lib/gcc/darwin/3.1 \
-L/usr/lib/gcc/darwin -L/usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/3.1/../../..
FCLINKFLAGS = $(FLINKFLAGS)

LIBS = -lpthread -lm -lgcc -lSystem
If you are not compiling for an SMP, you won't need the -lpthread .

Sorry if this is a red herring.

William G. Scott

Associate Professor
and The Center for the Molecular Biology of RNA
Sinsheimer Laboratories
University of California at Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz, California 95064
USA