Am Samstag, 12.07.03 um 01:00 Uhr schrieb David R. Morrison:

I'd like to weigh in on this again. I played around for a while today with
making shar archives out of a combination of info and patch files, using
/usr/bin/shar (which is BSD shar). The resulting file is quite similar
to the original proposal of tacking the patch file on to the info file,
but because it is a shar archive there is no ambiguity about it. And as
you can see from the example I will paste below, it is quite readable
(by humans): after a bit of header stuff, you see the original info file
with an X at the beginning of each line... then there is some intermediate
stuff, and you see the patch file with an X at the beginning of each line.

It does mean, however, that Fink has to first run the file through a sh process before even being able to process it. If you thought Fink was slow in parsing .info files now, just wait till it fires up several thousand sh processes to parse all .info files :-)

In fact, I would venture to say that if you were only trying to make small
changes to the info file, you could edit this file directly, without
unshar-ing it to its component parts.

I agree with Max, up to a point, that anybody somebody sends you the info
file they should send you the corresponding patch file, and that checking
out from CVS by date could deliver you the appropriate pair. But this is
not so robust, it seems to me... somebody could forget, you could store the
files someplace where it wasn't obvious what corresponded to what, it could
be tricky to determine the date you need, and so on.

Directly modifying a .shar archive is more robust? I think not-

The shar archive solution is not a bad compromise.

Well, to me it it is :-) While it is probably the quickest way to hack this feature in, it doesn't seem very attractive to me at all.

I still feel as if a non-problem is hyped up here and made into a problem, when it isn't really. Yeah, I can mix up the Installer.app from 10.1 and 10.2 - in fact, on my computer where I have several OS X partitions, my OS X 10.2 regularly starts the 10.1 Installer.app. I always reset it to use the 10.2 one then, but still, every now and then, it decides to revert to the 10.1 Installer.app. I have no idea why, but still I don't think that should prompt Apple into merging all system files into a single file, to prevent this problem. Rather, I know that a) I have a very unusual setup and b) the problem is very easy to avoid / fix for me. The drawbacks of having all system related things in a single file simply doesn't justify the minimal gain.

Max

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email sponsored by: Parasoft Error proof Web apps, automate testing & more. Download & eval WebKing and get a free book. www.parasoft.com/bulletproofapps1 _______________________________________________ Fink-devel mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/fink-devel