Here's my rationale for wanting some fink packages to be removed (or a system-foo package created??):

Devel:
AutoConf2.5: version 2.57 is provided by panther, obviously the other autoconf packages would remain for compatibility. :-)
AutoMake1.6: version 1.6.1 is provided by panther, the current fink version is 1.6.3.
M4: version 1.4 is provided by panther (dev tools), do we need a fink version?

Shells:
Bash: version 2.05b is provided by panther and i really can't see any reason to have a package for it to begin with, but ...
Tcsh: version 6.12.00 is provided by panther and ditto the above from bash...
Zsh: version 4.0.4 is provided by panther, the current fink version is 4.0.6

Editors:
Emacs: version 21.2.1 is provided by panther, current fink version is 21.3
VIM: version 6.1 is provided by panther, current (just released) fink version is 6.2

Base:
Gzip: version 1.2.4 is provided by panther, is there a real need?
libiconv: version 1.8 is provided by panther, (?? newer than fink's in the tree...??)
Ncurses: version 5.2-20020209 is provided by panther, the current fink version is 5.3-?
Tar: version 1.13.25 is provided by panther

Libs:
Libxml2: version 2.5.4 is provided by panther, the current fink version is 2.5.6

X11:
X11 in panther and freetype2 and all that fun stuff, but you already know about it... :-)

Languages:
Perl 5.8.1 and all that, but its already covered...
Python23: version 23b2 is provided by panther, obviously the older fink python packages should remain for compatability, but this one?
Tcltk: this one is a little odd: Apple has provided tcl, but not tk...? i'm at a loss...

Net:
postfix-release: version 2.0.7 is provided by panther, it has replaced sendmail (I'm sure everyone knows already...) the current fink version is 2.0.10

Crypto:
Openssl: version 0.9.6i is provided by panther (not 0.9.7x). Most packages that link against openssl don't care whether its 0.9.6i or 0.9.7a or whatever, i think that the move to defaulting to openssl097 was a bad idea. I think that packages should depend on openssl and only 097 if needed. openssl097 'provides' openssl so if john doe wants 097, just install 097 and everything will link against it.

This is what I've seen so far, I realize that some packages should remain because of fink-specific changes or new versions or whatever, but some can be removed and some should have system-foo packages created for them. Some packages will be updated (i hope) b4 the public release of panther.

I'd be happy to submit my own system-whatever packages if you're willing to use some of them (then again, its prob a better idea to have someone better than me write them...) :-)

-John

-- God is dead, now the war shall never end.