Dear fink-devel,

The code freeze for the 10.2/stable tree is hereby lifted.  However, I would
like to ask all fink developers to try and keep 10.2-gcc3.3/stable in sync
with (or ahead of) 10.2/stable.  I hope that the conversion to the new
trees will be complete within a few weeks.

All fink developers are now invited to help out with the 10.2-gcc3.3 trees.
Here's how:  In fink 0.13.8 which was released yesterday, GCC 3.1 is being
enforced for the first time.  To use the revised developer tools and gcc 3.3,
(as well as the new trees), you should install fink-0.13.9-beta.  To install
this, download the source file from the sourceforge release page
unpack the tarball, and run ./inject.pl from within the fink-0.13.9-beta
directory.  (Also, be sure that you have up-to-date developer tools.)

The vast majority of stable packages have already been moved from 10.2/stable
to 10.2-gcc3.3/stable.  I'll discuss some of the exceptions in a followup
message to this one.  We need help from fink developers both in testing
the 10.2-gcc3.3/stable tree, and also in getting 10.2-gcc3.3/unstable into
good shape.

Changes which you made to 10.2/unstable during the month of September might
not have gotten propagated to 10.2-gcc3.3/unstable.  So please check your
packages which might have been revised recently.

Let me remind you of what happens in the new tree.  Any package which uses
g++ or c++ is potentially affected by the ABI change in gcc between 3.1 and
3.3.  For any such package, you should be sure that the new version of the
package is labeled "GCC: 3.3" (and that the previous version is labeled
"GCC: 3.1").  You should also check all of the dependencies, making
versioned dependencies on any package which is also tagged "GCC: 3.3".

When a new version is made in this way, the revision number should be
increased by 10.

We had a similar conversion a year ago, when many packages were tagged
GCC: 3.1.  In the stable tree, I simply assumed that all such tags were
necessary, and I created new versions for all of those packages.  However,
many of them were probably not necessary -- checking the log files which are
generated as the package compiles is one way to see whether g++ or c++
is really being invoked.  So in the unstable tree, please feel free to
remove a GCC tag when that is appropriate.  If you remove it in
10.2-gcc3.3, you should also remove it in 10.2.

Note that simply adding or removing a GCC tag does not (in principle)
affect the .deb file, so a new revision number is not needed.  However,
we want different revision numbers when the value of the GCC tag is
different.

I hope all of the above is clear, and I thank you in advance for your help.

  -- Dave