Hi Guys,

    My last update-all updated GTK and, I believe GTK2. I no longer have the
scrollback so I can't provide any details of that but I know that the
following libraries are new:

/sw/lib/libgtk-1.2.0.9.1.dylib
/sw/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.0.200.4.dylib
/sw/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.la
/sw/lib/libgtk.a
/sw/lib/libgtk.la

The associated symlinks, which I didn't list, are also new. I have XWindows
applications that use GTK that aren't broken. However, when I ran
Ethereal-0.9.14-1, it produced a large number of Gtk-WARNING and
Gtk-CRITICAL messages. Ethereal then died with a bus error. Among the many
errors, the following suggest a problem with the GtkObject class, but I can
only guess.

Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_arg_type_new(): argument class in
"GtkCTree::tree_column" is not in the `GtkObject' ancestry

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtksignal.c: line 433 (gtk_signal_lookup): assertion
`gtk_type_is_a (object_type, GTK_TYPE_OBJECT)' failed.

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkbindings.c: line 451 (gtk_binding_set_by_class):
assertion `GTK_IS_OBJECT_CLASS (class)' failed.

Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from `GtkCTree' to `GtkObject'

    I tried rebuilding Ethereal. Aside from the usual types of errors, in
assembling of the object files into .a files, (what are those called?) ld
produced a large number of "multiple definitions" warnings like the
following:

ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _gtk_clist_new_with_titles
gtk/libui.a(gtkclist.o) definition of _gtk_clist_new_with_titles in section
(__TEXT,__text)
/sw/lib/libgtk.dylib(gtkclist.lo) definition of _gtk_clist_new_with_titles

The compilation succeeded and Ethereal was reinstalled but the bus errors
persisted. A complete list of the errors and warnings can be found at
http://kerbaugh.uncfsu.edu/ethereal_errors.txt but I expect that you'll be
able to reproduce them yourselves. Naturally I'll do my best to provide any
further information that I can but if you can reproduce the problem, I'm
sure you'll quickly know far more about it than I ever will. Still, please
let me know if I can help.
--
Gary Kerbaugh