Okay, I found out the library names are normal...
How does one using Fink set the PKG_CONFIG_PATH correctly to help pkg-config?

I tried this:

CompileScript: <<
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH="%p/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH" ./configure %c
 make install DESTDIR=%d
<<

That let the configure script find the fontconfig version, but everything else was screwed up; i.e. nothing outside of %p/lib/pkgconfig was found. So I'm still stuck.

Wouldn't it make sense to set %p/lib/pkgconfig before the system libs by default, assuming most if not all packages in Fink are newer/better than the system release, or is there an issue of compatibility?

-Todd