On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 10:22:04AM +0100, Michal 'hramrach' Suchanek wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 10:28:33PM -0500, Daniel Macks wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 01:35:31PM +0100, Michal Suchanek wrote:
> >
> > Do you really need the *default* interpretter to have both, or just
> > "know a path to an interpretter that has both"? I.e....
> >
> > > to show some possible configurations that do not work:
> > >   ruby16 + ruby18 + ruby 1.8.0 + ripper-ruby16 + fxruby-ruby18 + freeride
> > >   ruby16 + ruby18 + ruby 1.8.0 + ripper-ruby16 + fxruby-ruby16 + freeride
> >
> > why can't this latter one be made to work by explicitly calling ruby16
> > instead of just "default ruby"?

This above sentence is crucial.

> > > So I made ripper-ruby16 0.0.5-2 that has a splitoff ripper
> > > 0.0.5-2-16, ripper-ruby18 with splitoff ripper 0.0.5-2-18, etc.
> >
> > What exactly is the purpose of these splitoffs and what do they
> > contain? [...]
> > are you trying to arrange so that other fink packages can use yours
> > by simply "Depends: ripper" and be assured of a fully functional
> > module *somewhere*?
> Yes, that's what I intended to do.

Okay then, I have to ask: why?

> > Based on the freeride example you give, you're in the same
> > versioned-perl-module handbasket. If it's the freeride package (which
> > is not ruby-versioned) that needs a certain suite of modules all in
> > the "same ruby-version", it's up to that package to request them. Why
> > can't it just pick a ruby and use it?
>
> As you put it it should be possible to make
> freeride + freeride-ruby18 + freeride-ruby16 where freeride-rubyXX contains a
> script for running freeride with the correct interpreter.

It seems like this does not require having a "ripper" package in any
form ("real", a SplitOff, or a Provides). Just have ripperXX, and each
freeride-rubyXX use ripperXX directly. Consider this pseudopackage:

Package: freeride-rubyXX
Depends: ripperXX, fxrubyXX, rubyXX

That way a user could pick whichever freeride he wanted (based on
which ruby he has installed) and he will automatically have the needed
other packages installed in that ruby.

dan

--
Daniel Macks