Martin Costabel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> But I don't think one should produce packages that one cannot test.

Absolutely. But...

> That's why I don't like this whole variant thing.

That seems kind of orthogonal.

Variants make it easier for the Maintainer to maintain multiple
variants (in the conceptual, not Fink sense) of a package. It relieves
what was becoming (became?) an unscalable mess of -pmXXX (and -pyXXX
and -rbXXX, etc.) packages. Do you really believe that all those
modules were tested with each perl version?

Having a separate .info file for each variant makes it difficult for a
Maintainer to keep variants in sync. It's too easy to forget to change
one Depends package, or make a typo when applying the same tweak to a
new revision of several files.

dan

--
Daniel Macks