On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 01:49:09PM +0300, Antti Tapaninen wrote:

> I'd like to have an easy way to determine which packages have been
> packaged and compiled from a mutual source. In debian, there doesn't seem
> to be an easy tool to do this, but so far I've parsed the available/status
> files myself. Package entries like zsh, zsh-doc and zsh-static all share
> the same Source field entry, in this case 'zsh'.
>
> I was a bit surprised to notice that the same field in Fink 0.7.0 is
> useless, since it's always the same as Package field.
> Is this subject to change anytime soon?

It would appear (from browsing the fink core code CVS) that we've
always done it that way. That's probably because the Debian Packaging
Manual states:

  5.6.1 Source - This field identifies the source package name.

So I don't think fink is going to change anytime soon:)

What you would need is the data from the .info files (which describe
the build process for each package). Unfortunately for you, the
sources there often contain macros for the package name. That makes a
pretty ugly manual parsing task.

There's a feature in the not-yet-released version of fink that lets
you extract this type of info directly from fink's own database. You
will be able to

  fink dumpinfo --source > output.txt

(or something like that...the exact syntax isn't quite set yet) and
then you can browse a giant listing of all packages (or optionally
limitted by package name) and their macro-expanded tarball names at
your leisure. Would that provide the kind of info you want?

> Otherwise I really like Fink and the packaging work compared to Debian,
> thanks everyone for the hard work. :)

You're quite welcome!

dan

--