On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 05:18:35PM +0200, Christian Schaffner wrote:
> On 26.04.2004, at 17:11, Martin Costabel wrote:
> >
> >I don't understand the usefulness of having
> >
> >  Conflicts: svn-client-ssl (<= 0.26.0-2)
> >  Replaces: svn-client-ssl (<= 0.26.0-2)
> >
> >in a splitoff named svn-client-ssl. Doesn't every package conflict
> >with and replace older versions of itself? Am I missing something?
>
> This is because there was a stand-alone package called 'svn-client-ssl'
> before it appeared as a splitoff. At the time i did this (couple of
> years ago...) i thought it made sense. I am no longer sure now, but i
> think it doesn't hurt either.

Under dpkg, there can never be more than one version (-revision) of a
given real package installed at once. By the time dpkg sees things,
there is no distinction between a parent and splitoff: each is a full
and independent package.

OTOH, fink knows this and for a couple of months has been (or at least
should be:) automatically clearing the entry for a package from its
own Conflicts/Replaces lists. This behavior is documented in the
Packaging Manual.

You can run 'dpkg -I' on the .deb with to see what happened, or if
you're living on the CVS HEAD, 'fink dumpinfo -f conflicts,replaces
whatever-pkg'.

Tech note: this was implemented to make it easier to write
mutually-exclusive variants and not have to worry about how a syntax
to list "all variants but this one" in those fields. One simply lists
*all*, and lets fink worry about removing %n.

dan

--
Daniel Macks
[EMAIL PROTECTED]