On Jul 27, 2004, at 2:42 AM, David H. wrote:
Lars Rosengreen wrote:

| The Darcs package I maintain comes with a bash completion script that
| can be installed in %p/etc/bash_completion.d/ . Do you think it is
| appropriate for me to put things in this directory without depending on
| the bash-completion package in fink? <snip>

Since this is a very special case, I cannot give you 100% be sure
answers. However, the moment you want to use bash_completion and your
enhanced script becomes a part of that functionality you _have_ to
depend on the Fink supplied package. However in this special case where
you simply install a completetion script and leave it to the user
whether he/she might like to use it, that behaviour you described should
be ok.

What I decided to do (based on a suggestion from dmacks) was to package the bash-completion script in a SplitOff named %N-bash-completion that depends on the bash-completion package. That seems like an elegant way to deal with the situation.

Thanks for the advice,
-Lars