Daniel,
   The situation with fftw is as follows. The gromacs md-simulation
package, which is just entering fink unstable, can be used with
LAM-MPI to run more effectively on multiple nodes and processors.
This is done by having lammpi installed and using the --enable-mpi
configure option. The gromacs package also requires fftw which
also can be improved in performance by using the LAM-MPI support
as well.
   The packaging changes I originally came up with resembled how
they handle this with redhat rpms. One builds fftw with --enable-mpi
and split off the mpi specific shared libs into a fftw-mpi and
fftw-mpi-devel rpm set while packaging the normal set of files
in the fftw and fftw-devel rpms as before. However Jeffrey Whitaker
doesn't want the stock build of fftw on fink to require lammpi
to be installed.
    The fftw.info file I posted last night was intended to meet
that goal. The idea is that only if you 'fink install fftw-mpi'
or have a Depends from another package on fftw-mpi would it
be installed in preference to fftw. The difference, in the
contents of fftw/fftw-shlibs and fftw-mpi/fftw-mpi-shlibs,
amounts to only four shared libs...

   %p/lib/libsrfftw_mpi.2.dylib 3.0.0 %n (>= 2.1.3-12)
   %p/lib/libdrfftw_mpi.2.dylib 3.0.0 %n (>= 2.1.3-12)
   %p/lib/libdfftw_mpi.2.dylib 3.0.0 %n (>= 2.1.3-12)
   %p/lib/libsfftw_mpi.2.dylib 3.0.0 %n (>= 2.1.3-12)

and four associated header files. The remaining libs
and headers in a build with --enable-mpi should be
identical to those done without that configure option.
So as I see it I have three alternatives...

1) Have separate fftw.info and fftw-mpi.info files
in fink/unstable just as we have separate fftw.info
and fftw-absoft.info files now.
2) Use the previously proprosed fftw.info file that
uses Type and variants but try to hack around the
files: and Shlibs: problems (preventing a stock
fftw build from attempting to package any *mpi*
related shared libs.

At this point I suspect I am stuck with the option
1 as the only viable solution until fink is
extended.
                           Jack