On Aug 23, 2004, at 11:58 AM, Daniel Macks wrote:

I see several packages have constructs like:

  Depends: openssl-shlibs | openssl097-shlibs
  BuildDepends: openssl-dev | openssl097-dev

This is not correct--if, for example, one has openssl097-dev installed
at build-time, then one *must* have openssl097-shlibs at run-time
(openssl-shlibs will not suffice). A quick check of the crypto branch
of the 10.3 and 10.2-gcc3.3 trees finds:

10.3:
  stable/crypto/finkinfo/stunnel4.info
  unstable/crypto/finkinfo/dcmtk-ssl.info
  unstable/crypto/finkinfo/net-snmp-ssl.info
  unstable/crypto/finkinfo/stunnel4.info

10.2-gcc3.3:
  unstable/crypto/finkinfo/ettercap-ssl-0.6.9-12.info
  unstable/crypto/finkinfo/net-snmp-ssl.info

What's our current thought on us changing these and telling
$Maintainer the situation vs. telling them to fix their packages and
waiting for them to do so?

The ideal solution here would be to finish the "Shlibs project", in which the -shlibs dependencies for a package would be calculated after the package is built, and recorded in the .deb file. That way, you can have a choice given under BuildDepends, and wind up with the correct dependency information. (Although admittedly, this would allow for two different binaries to be produced depending on the environment, so I suppose a strict interpretation of the fink rules would say that this should have been constructed as a variant in any event.)

However, that's a long-term solution. In the short run, I don't think we've ever had a clear statement about when choices among library variants is permissible or not. (Another case is gnome-vfs and gnome-vfs-ssl, where I would imagine similar issues arise.) So the first step is to document what is the Right Thing to do, and then we can figure out if it's urgent enough to do on behalf of package maintainers or if we can just wait for them to do it.

  -- Dave