Hi Rob

On 08.09.2004, at 00:32, Rob Braun wrote:

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 04:31:33PM -0700, Rob Braun wrote:

I've come up with a patch that does this. I've been testing the
patch locally, but have not tested it extensively. I'll test it with
larger dependency chains later, when I get access to better connectivity.
Known issues: it is not controllable by a switch (command line or
otherwise). The plan is to not have this on by default, but use
a switch of some sort to enable it. I'm open to suggestions on how
best to toggle this. Also, it does not run apt-get update from
fink index, so you'll need to do that seperately. It should update
apt-get's notion of reality.

I just tested this on larger sets, and it fails miserably. I have some ideas on how to fix it though, so stay tuned. Any helpful comments/code would be appreciated. ;-)

I did a few tests and found (from looking at the code in the apt-zip package) that we could use 'apt-get -qq --print-uris install packagefoo' to get the uris of the packages that would be installed. Now we can filter out the uri of the package we want to install and pass that to the Fink::NetAccess::fetch_url method, and then continue as you did in your patch.

I updated your patch trying to implement what i just explained and it seems to work here. However, two warnings:

1.
I only tested it very shortly on two packages

2.
I have no idea how to program perl and i only figured out from looking at other perl code on how to solve the problem. So it is probably very bad perl style and needs to be improved. Especially i was not sure how to handle errors.

Please have a look at it and feel free to enhance/change it.

Thanks, Chris.