On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 11:14:52AM +0200, Christian Schaffner wrote:

> it seems that you are missing the patch file in the patch submission
> item at <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
> func=detail&aid=1037296&group_id=17203&atid=317203>
> Or am i missing something?

*grumble*. It's there now.

> On 30.09.2004, at 07:24, Daniel Macks wrote:
> >
> >UseBinaryDist is not "use the apt server" but "use the apt server
> >unless one has already compiled locally and then run scanpackages and
> >had fink rebuild its aptdb".
>
> In the fink man file i wrote:
>
>      -b, --use-binary-dist
>            Download pre-compiled binary packages from the binary
>            distribution if available.
>
> and that is what the patch makes fink do at the moment: First, check if
> the .deb is already available on the system (self compiled or from
> apt-get). Then, if it is not available already, check with
> PkgVersion::is_aptgetable() to see if the deb could be downloaded.
[...]
> But you are correct, --use-binary-dist means: Download from the binary
> dist, if available on the server and if deb is not already on the
> system.
>
> Does that answer your reservation? Or were you talking about something
> else?

That's exactly what I'm talking about. My concern is that the "if deb
is not already on the system" isn't documented.

Consider the XCode-1.5 fiasco. Say a user builds a package, and we
tell him "the package you built is broken". If he reads "-b downloads
from dist server", he's gonna be pretty confused when he tries to use
that to get himself a non-broken package and instead winds up with the
one he just (mis)compiled.

[check for locally-built .deb first]
> And i think that is how it should be. There might be other opinions,
> though.
>
> Or we might even add a future switch that says something like
> '--use-only-bin-dist'.

Yup. Would just have to pass flags to apt-get to only look in certain
distributions. This functionality currently exists in the docs, but
appears broken in practice...
arts-dev is 1.1.4-22 in bindist, and sw/etc/apt/sources.list has
deb http://us.dl.sourceforge.net/fink/direct_download 10.3/release main crypto
but
  sudo apt-get install arts-dev/10.3/release
  Reading Package Lists... Done
  Building Dependency Tree... Done
  E: Release '10.3/release' for 'arts-dev' was not found

dan

--
Daniel Macks
[EMAIL PROTECTED]