dan () mackinlay wrote:
[]
now, I think I must have included fink itself in that download, because at the end of the package installation script output there was a line which I foolishly let vanish into the depths of my xterm's buffer. it reported that package fink version 0.21.3-1 had failed to install since it was missing the file /fink/etc/fink.conf .

Last I looked, fink.conf lived in /sw/etc/fink.conf, no? What's going on here?

The fink version in the bindist is broken. I am sure it will be fixed soon, but the tricky part is to get out of this situation without wiping your whole /sw directory (plus the new garbage /fink directory), if you didn't already.

What you can do is to find an older fink package, for example fink_0.21.2-1_darwin-powerpc.deb, either in your directory /sw/var/cache/apt/archives/ or at the URL
http://bindist.finkmirrors.net/bindist/dists/10.3/release/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/base/

Then run "sudo dpkg -i fink_0.21.2-1_darwin-powerpc.deb" which should give you back a working fink. Then don't dist-upgrade until this is sorted out.