> As I still do not understand what the problem is, I cannot really judge
> whether I can allow your way of installing it or not.

I'm sorry if I am not being clear.  The problem is that $FPATH needs to
be set, and in your package it is not.

Because $FPATH isn't set in the current zsh fink package, it has no
way of accessing its own functions, and is therefore incapable of doing any
of the default completions or using any of its own built-in functions.  In
other words, it is currently badly  broken because $FPATH is empty.

> One thing is for sure, the Fink supplied zsh will, under _no_
> circumstances, touch or install anything outside of /sw. If that is
> necessary the user has to do it by themselves.

Nor will it if the prefix=%p, the functions install by default into

 %p/share/zsh/4.2.1
 %p/share/zsh/site-functions

This is what happens when you DON'T issue the flags
--enable-fndir=%p/share/%n  and --enable-function-subdirs

If you don't issue these, the effect is the same as if you
had issued

--enable-fndir=%p/share/%n/4.2.1

which is the default.

Because --enable-fndir=%p/share/%n is not the default location,
and (perhaps -- I have not tested this) --enable-function-subdirs
is not the default, zsh will not automatically set the $FPATH.
It is currently empty.

However, if the user is running /bin/zsh and then starts a /sw/bin/zsh
session from that, this will inherit the $FPATH set by /bin/zsh, and
/sw/bin/zsh will default to using the functions in /usr/share/bin
as a consequence, which means zsh is dependent upon a previous version of
zsh outside of fink.

Try it.  You will see.

Start a /bin/bash or /bin/tcsh shell, and from that start /sw/bin/zsh
and type

print $FPATH.

Now do the same starting with /bin/zsh and then from that start
a /sw/bin/zsh session, and you will see the only $FPATH
entries are /usr/share/4.x.x and /usr/share/site-functions

> You said that functions are usually installed i /prefix/share/zsh, so
> that is why I changed it to work that way with
> --enable-fndir=%p/share/%n everything else is now handled by the zsh
> make install and thus should default to whatever defaults they set.
>
> Is this the option that is in question "--enable-function-subdirs" ?

Again, neither are required, and at least one of them is creating the
problem.

HTH,

Bill