Alexander K. Hansen wrote:

On Dec 16, 2004, at 9:31 PM, Lars Rosengreen wrote:

I recently tried to build the cvs2cl package, and it looks like the md5 sum for the upstream source has changed. cvs2cl doesn't currently have anyone listed as a maintainer. Does that mean that it is ``ok'' for me to just go ahead and commit a fix ?

-Lars

It sounds fine to me.

There is one thing to pay attention to in this situation: You shouldn't just change the md2sum in the package description, because the file on the original source URL may have changed, but the file on the distfiles server probably hasn't. You will end up with a situation where the source cannot be downloaded from the master server any more.

I don't know if the master server has become sufficiently intelligent to deal with this situation, but I doubt it. We have had several such cases in the past, and they were unpleasant to handle.

So if you change the md5sum, you should also change the file name, using the SourceRename field.