Hi Chris.  You've raised an important issue which I've been meaning to address.

There are a couple of different philosophies about the choice of perl
Types, and I think we need to discuss this and settle on a common policy.
Let me break this into two questions: what Types should be used, and
should there be a difference between stable and unstable.

Historically, we've seen periods when substantial numbers of users had
replaced their Apple-installed perl with a more recent version.  Even
Apple's website appeared to advocate doing this at one time.  So we've
tried to accomodate the needs of our users.

(On the other hand, this causes lots of headaches, in particular, since we
cannot always test things.)

So one point of view says that we should include as many perl module
variants as possible, to accomodate users who have replaced their system
perl with a newer version.  This is the point of view that leads to the
inclusion of Type 5.8.5, even though we've never had a perl 5.8.5 package
in fink and this variant cannot be tested with an ordinary installation of
fink.

Another point of view says that we should limit the Types to those that we
actually support.

I personally like the second point of view, but I'd be glad to hear
discussion about this from adherents of the first point of view.

By the way, at the moment, bootstrapping fink is only permitted with a
short list of installed versions of perl.  I have been tempted to also only
permit updating fink with that same short list, but I'm wary of breaking
things for some users, so I haven't done it.

Turning to the second question, I firmly believe in maintaining a
difference between the stable and unstable trees in regards to Types.
Everything in the stable tree must build on a standard fink system, and
will be built when a binary distribution is created.  Thus, 5.8.5 can never
go into stable.

However, it's pretty easy to maintain a system in which the list of Types
for a package is different in stable and unstable.  For example, the list
of -man packages that includes all variants in Conflicts and Replaces lines
is perfectly appropriate, even if some of those variants don't exist in the
stable tree.  The only thing that has to be modified is the Type line.

Future plans affecting this question: perl 5.8.6 will go into stable fairly
soon, and I'm working on creating -pm586 variants of the stable -pm581
packages.  Also, it is unlikely that we'll include any version of perl
prior to 5.8.1 in our 10.4 distribution for fink.

  -- Dave