Hi Mike,

On 17/02/2005, at 9:20 AM, Michael wrote:

OK, this is my first time posting here, I think, so forgive me if I brreak some rule about posting, I am completely new at this. I have been trying to get ahold of the maintainer of the glib2 atk1 pango1-xft2 and gtk+2 packages the gnome-core person. Yesterday I learned this was a guy named Keith, but I never heard anything back. I read on this list that among others, the gtk+2 packages were really old. looking at the source numbers for myself, 2.2 avail on fink I think and 2.6.2 avail on the gtk ftp site, having heard nothing from this person, I took it upon myself and checked out the experimental tree and built some packages for myself, using glib-2.6.2 atk-1.9.0 and gtk+-2.6.2 sources, using the old ones as templates.(Kept Pango1-XFT2 as was) I have somewhat of an idea what I am doing so any input would be welcomed. I posted to Fink-Users last night and got a reply that I should post here for this matter instead. When building pango1-xft2 I had to manually build freetype-2.1.9, render, xrender, and fontconfig-2.2.99 and install them into usr/X11R6. I read that this is because the version of fontconfig distributed with the 4.4.0 sources of XFree86 are so old, that it would cause a problem. And indeed it did. For after I made those manual adjustments, plus building and installing expat-1.95.8 to /usr/X11R6 prefix it went off without a hitch. Now It was also told me by that list that that type of "manual hacking" is against Fink's policy. So is it ok with Fink's policies if I create packages for render xrender and fontconfig to be installed in /usr/X11R6 instead of fink's directory? (/sw for me) Normally I would think it was, but I know that Fink's XFree86 is installed into that directory, the only reason I don't use that is because I already had XDarwin on the 4.4.0 sources Downloaded, and on my slow machine compiling XFree takes like almost 4 hours I think, (awhile anyway). To sum it all up though, I am working on the 10.2-gcc3.3 unstable tree with OS X 10.2.8, if that helps, and the other packages seem to build fine, except I think there is one bug I am still trying to work out, and I am still learning the ConfigParams, so I know I have something wrong because I get gcc errors with unrecognized options `-pthread' and `-03' (glib2 I believe).

Another thing I was wondering is if I would just make a fontconfig package for the normal installation of fink's directory, since there is a Freetype2 package also for fink. But if that were the case would I also have to update fink's Freetype2 package to build the 2.1.9 sources, instead of the 2.1.3

You've got the right list :)

Let's start at the top:

1. Obviously the easiest way to get the latest versions of everything running would be to install X.org's Xserver (is this even available under 10.2? I don't know), or XFree86 4.4.x. I have successfully compiled the entire GNOME 2.10 tree from gnome's CVS HEAD against Apple's bundled version of XFree86 (4.3.0), but I'm not entirely sure what else might be missing from a Mac OS X 10.2 install (libXplugin.dylib might not be there I think).

Obviously you can get around the expat problems (somewhat) by installing Fink's expat package, but the fontconfig and freetype issues are a little harder - I have .info files here for a newer version of fontconfig2-dev and freetype2 (which would allow you to build these packages without mucking with your /usr/X11R6 directory), and you're more than welcome to those, but you will need to face the issue at some point that average users aren't going to want to manually compile versions of software outside their Fink tree.

Guh, roll on modularised Xserver... one day this will all be an annoying memory :)

2. You should have a look at the freetype2* packages in Alexander Strange's experimental directory in CVS - there was some discussion about bundling a newer version of freetype2 with Fink recently on the Fink-devel list - go back and have a look in the archives. We do need a newer version of freetype2 - I believe there are packages that don't work correctly with more recent versions though, so people are still working on it.

Your ConfigureParams problems are twofold:

1. -pthreads is harmless - it does nothing on Darwin as a CFLAG, so just ignore it (if you've manually added it to any of the fields, remove it)
2. -03 should be -O3 (that's an o, not a zero), however, I would recommend you don't turn on optimisations until after you've tested your packages, or (at the very least), make it '-g -O3' so that debugging information will be included - you'll generally find this specified under the SetCFLAGS field.

Let us know if you get stuck! I've been helping fix the more common Darwin/Mac OS X problems in GNOME CVS HEAD lately, so GNOME 2.10+ should compile without a whole lot of modification (well... I can't back that up *grin*) - there are a lot of experts here, and they're all friendly and generally willing to help :)

-Tony Arnold