Is there a policy about what encoding to use for .info files? The fink tool (or specifically perl 5.8.x) and online package database seem to expect Unicode while FinkCommander assumes MacRoman. There are two files, gtktalog.info and recode.info, that use MacRoman in the Maintainer field. Thus they show correctly in FinkCommander but not anywhere else. If I change those files to UTF-8, "fink info" gives the correct result. Of course, then FinkCommander is wrong. :) I came across this issue because I'm working on a Cocoa program that reads package info from fink, and since Cocoa assumes text is in Unicode, Bad Things were happening with those two files. As in crashing. I had to explicitly convert the text from MacRoman first, like FinkCommander does.

I couldn't find anything in the Packaging Manual about this. Perhaps a good policy would be to require all .info files to use UTF-8 and document this?

--
Daniel Johnson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]