Daniel Macks wrote:
[]
Failed: Can't resolve dependency "gcc3.1" for package "prcs-1.3.2-1" (no matching packages/versions found)

and the build process stopped right there before it even started.
...and then the user is completely stuck, as we well know from reading
the lists.

But this message can be looked up in the FAQ. On the lists, we hear only from those users who are unable to use the FAQ without help. These won't even be able to *see* your new message.

Wha? It says what's wrong in both technical and lay language:
Package gcc3.1 is an autogenerated virtual package.
You cannot manipulate this type of package using the usual Fink tools.

It is not the user who is manipulating the package, it is fink who tries to install gcc3.1 as part of some other installation procedure.

[]
Read the detailed description of this package to learn how to use it.

(and the first complaint appeared already on the users list):

If a user isn't going to read the msg and do what it says, is he
likely to figure out what to do when confronted with the old error?
The new behavior helps users help themselves. Some will be helped.
Others will just throw up their hands "I have an error!" in all cases
regardless of how explicit we make the error message.

I bet that 9 out of 10 users that get this message don't even see that it is there. If you want to leave the behavior as it is now, then *please* put some visible frame around the message so that it can be seen. As it is, these are 3 lines in the middle of at least 18 lines of text that are incomprehensible for normal users and don't contain useful information.

In addition, the FAQ entry #6.17 will have to be adapted.

------------------------------------------------------- SF email is sponsored by - The IT Product Guide Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT Products from real users. Discover which products truly live up to the hype. Start reading now. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=6595&alloc_id=14396&op=click _______________________________________________ Fink-devel mailing list Fink-devel@lists.sourceforge.net https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/fink-devel