I've got a version of freetype2/freetype2-hinting 2.1.9 in my
experimental tree that, in theory, fixes issues of binary compatibility
and building by older packages.  It includes some patches from debian
for backwards-compat as well as removing the error about including
ft2build.h first.

I would appreciate feedback from people to see if this works for
everyone...  I tested running stuff built against freetype2 2.1.3 in
/sw/lib/freetype2, as well as building some stuff that links against it
(including my qt3/kde in experimental) and everything seemed to work.

If this works, I'll apply the patch to the x server packages as
necessary too.