Matthias Neeracher wrote:
[]
- Often there will be two different freetype.6.dylibs loaded into memory at the same time, because X11's libfreetype will inevitably pop up in addition to ours.

This inevitability seems to be an issue for me. Specifically, in lilypond, I saw major breakage if I just linked with the default pango libraries because (it seemed) lilypond and pango were talking to different instances of freetype. I had to build a 219-dependent pango package. Is this the way to go forward?

I don't know. Experience will have to show, but it is not impossible that we may need freetype-versioned packages in some special cases. In the case of scribus I found that as long as all participants were compiled as twolevel_namespace images, it was not a problem that scribus used qt3 and both were talking to different versions of freetype. With a flat_namespace libfreetype there were bus errors all the time.