On Mar 26, 2005, at 5:10 PM, Dave Vasilevsky wrote:

On Mar 16, 2005, at 2:39 PM, Lars Rosengreen wrote:
Yes, I think we do. I'll try to construct a list of packages that may be affected.

Thanks Lars.

Here is a preliminary list. I have only had a chance to verify a few of these, so there are bound to be several false positives in here.

unstable/main
--------------------
net/lftp.info   GPL     Justin F. Hallett

unstable/crypto
---------------------
amule.info      GPL     ASARI Takashi
aqbanking.info  GPL     Peter O'Gorman
aqhbci-qt-tools.info    GPL     Peter O'Gorman
aqhbci.info     GPL     Peter O'Gorman
bazaar-ssl.info GPL/GFDL        Lars Rosengreen
ccvssh.info     GPL     David Bacher
cfengine.info   GPL     Matthew Flanagan
clamav.info     GPL     Remi Mommsen
dods.info       GPL     Jeffrey Whitaker
ejabberd.info   GPL     Daniel Henninger
ekg-ssl.info    GPL/LGPL        Benjamin Reed
elinks-ssl.info GPL     Daniel Macks
ethereal-ssl.info       GPL     Max Horn
fetchmail-ssl.info      GPL     Eric Knauel
fwbuilder.info  GPL     Vadim Zaliva
gftp-ssl.info   GPL     Justin F. Hallett
gnome-vfs-ssl.info      GPL/LGPL        None
gnome-vfs2-ssl.info     GPL/LGPL        The Gnome Core Team
gnomemeeting.info       GPL/LGPL        Shawn Hsiao
gwenhywfar.info LGPL    Peter O'Gorman
htmldoc-1.8.23-13.info  GPL     Thomas Kotzian
htmldoc-nox-1.8.23-3.info       GPL     Thomas Kotzian
irssi-ssl.info  GPL     Max Horn
jpilot-ssl.info GPL     None
jwgc-ssl.info   GPL     Daniel Henninger
kdebase3-ssl.info       GPL/LGPL        Benjamin Reed
kdelibs3-ssl.info       GPL/LGPL        Benjamin Reed
kdenetwork3.info        GPL/LGPL        Benjamin Reed
lftp-ssl.info   GPL     Justin F. Hallett
libnasl3-ssl.info       GPL     Corey Halpin
libnessus-ssl.info      GPL     None
libnessus3-ssl.info     GPL     Corey Halpin
libsoup-ssl.info        GPL/LGPL        The Gnome Core Team
links-ssl.info  GPL     Finlay Dobbie
lynx-ssl.info   GPL     None
msmtp.info      GPL     Darian Lanx
mutt-ssl.info   GPL     Christian Swinehart
neon23-ssl-0.23.9-11.info       LGPL    Christian Schaffner
neon24-ssl.info LGPL    Christian Schaffner
openhbci.info   LGPL    Peter O'Gorman
proftpd.info    GPL     Justin F. Hallett
pyopenssl-py.info       LGPL    Daniel Henninger
qca.info        LGPL    Benjamin Reed
samba-ldap.info GPL     None
samba.info      GPL     None
sitecopy-ssl.info       GPL     Max Horn
socat-ssl.info  GPL     Chris Dolan
soup-ssl.info   GPL/LGPL        None
squid-ssl.info  GPL     Benjamin Reed
stunnel4.info   GPL     Thomas Diemer
sylpheed-ssl.info       GPL     None
vtun.info       GPL     None
wget-ssl.info   GPL     Sylvain Cuaz
xchat-ssl.info  GPL     Max Horn

stable/main
----------------
net/lftp.info   GPL     Justin F. Hallett

stable/crypto
-----------------
clamav.info     GPL     Remi Mommsen
dcgui-qt-ssl.info       GPL     Hanspeter Niederstrasser
dods.info       GPL     Jeffrey Whitaker
ethereal-ssl.info       GPL     Max Horn
fetchmail-ssl.info      GPL     Eric Knauel
gabber-ssl-0.8.7-22.info        GPL     Max Horn
gnome-vfs-ssl.info      GPL/LGPL        None
gnome-vfs2-ssl.info     GPL/LGPL        The Gnome Core Team
gnomemeeting.info       GPL/LGPL        Shawn Hsiao
irssi-ssl.info  GPL     Max Horn
kdebase3-ssl.info       GPL/LGPL        Benjamin Reed
kdelibs3-ssl.info       GPL/LGPL        Benjamin Reed
lftp-ssl.info   GPL     Justin F. Hallett
libnessus-ssl.info      GPL     None
libsoup-ssl.info        GPL/LGPL        The Gnome Core Team
links-ssl.info  GPL     Finlay Dobbie
lynx-ssl-2.8.4-23.info  GPL     Alexander Strange
lynx-ssl.info   GPL     None
mutt-ssl-1.4i-31.info   GPL     Christian Swinehart
neon23-ssl-0.23.9-11.info       LGPL    Christian Schaffner
neon24-ssl.info LGPL    Christian Schaffner
openhbci.info   LGPL    Peter O'Gorman
samba-ldap-2.2.8a-21.info       GPL     None
samba.info      GPL     None
sitecopy-ssl.info       GPL     Max Horn
soup-ssl.info   GPL/LGPL        None
squid-ssl.info  GPL     Benjamin Reed
stunnel4.info   GPL     Thomas Diemer
wget-ssl.info   GPL     Sylvain Cuaz
xchat-ssl.info  GPL     Max Horn

dclib0-ssl and valknut-ssl have modified their licenses to allow linking with openssl, but valknut also has a build dep on gt3-dev, which is gpl'd -- probably still not compatible

I guess once we have this, for each package we'll need to:
- Notify the upstream developers that they're sitting on a time bomb. :-)

- Do one of the following, in order of preference:
* Get permission from the upstream devel to link with OpenSSL
* Link the package against OpenTLS
* Link the package against the system OpenSSL (BuildConflict with Fink's version)
* Remove the package from the bindist, possibly from unstable too.

Any other options?

To me the solution seems fairly simple: if a package has gpl (or lgpl) in its license field and has a builddep on fink's openssl, then it should no longer be included in the binary distribution, unless someone can establish that the upstream authors permit linking against openssl. We could change the license field of such packages to restrictive, or better yet, create a new license category for cases like this where fink may distribute source code but not binaries.

-Lars

--
Lars Rosengreen    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    http://www.margay.org/~lars