On Mar 30, 2005, at 10:19 AM, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:

But once you filter out the idea (also not copyrightable, see Title 17, Sec. 102(b)), I suspect you'll find that the expression of that idea is quite limited by the technical and policy requirements of the info file.

True, but that is not the case here. We are not extracting the ideas from .info files and creating new ones; we are copying and distributing others' work as-is. This is what I am saying is covered by copyright law.

And yes, having licensing on info files clearly given by their authors would be a very good thing.

Now I'm really confused. If I understand your point correctly, that .info files have no protection under copyright law, then what need is there for licensing them?

Trevor