On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 05:34:49PM +0200, Jean-Fran?ois Mertens wrote:

> On 02 May 2005, at 22:20, Daniel Macks wrote:
>
> >On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 03:53:56PM -0400, Dave Vasilevsky wrote:
> >
> >>There's a problem with this. Fink's texi2html uses #!/sw/bin/perl .
> >>But I'm using system-perl586, so I don't have a /sw/bin/perl. This is
> >>detected by 'make', so it uses the OS X texi2html instead.
> >>
> >>So this raises the questions: Is it ok to use /sw/bin/perl as an
> >>interpreter? And if it is, how are people using system-perl* supposed
> >>to deal with it?
> >>

> May I remind of  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.apple.fink.devel/
> 9706  ??
> The problem is much more widespread, and affects over half of fink's
> pkgs ...
> We will never correct but an infinitesimal fraction of those...
> To me, the only realistic solution is that fink's perl pkgs install the
> symlink /sw/bin/perl -> perlxyz in a PostInstallScript and, in a
> PreRemoveScript,
> re-set it to point to /usr/bin/perl.

"update-alternatives" is a clean way of accomplishing this kind of
game. Give fink itself %p/bin/perl->/usr/bin/perl with a low priority
and then each perlXXX a %p/bin/perl->perlXXX with a higher priority
(and remove the actual %p/bin/perl from that pkg).

If users actually ever became comfortable with update-alternatives, we
could maybe even use it in perlXXX-core to supply all the stuff
currently in perlXXX and nuke that latter package entirely.

dan

--
Daniel Macks
[EMAIL PROTECTED]