On Jun 13, 2005, at 8:34 PM, Kevin Horton wrote:

I've got the latest unstable fink on OS X 10.4.1. Tonight I ran into a strange problem with a buildlock from a build that was done many days ago. It was preventing fink from removing gettext-dev so it could install libgettext3-dev.

I eventually forced its hand by trying a "fink remove gettext-dev", which failed, but fink then suggested a "fink remove --recursive gettext-dev", which worked.

While I appreciate that I eventually received a helpful hint from fink, it seems strange that the problem occurred in the first place. I don't know if this is a known bug, or if I stumbled across something new.

======================
dpkg -i /sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/base/ libgettext3-dev_0.14.2-14_darwin-powerpc.deb dpkg: considering removing gettext-dev in favour of libgettext3- dev ...
dpkg: no, cannot remove gettext-dev (--auto-deconfigure will help):
fink-buildlock-kdelibs3-ssl-3.4.1-21 depends on gettext-dev
  gettext-dev is to be removed.
dpkg: regarding .../libgettext3-dev_0.14.2-14_darwin-powerpc.deb containing libgettext3-dev:
libgettext3-dev conflicts with gettext-dev
  gettext-dev (version 0.10.40-24) is installed.
dpkg: error processing /sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin- powerpc/base/libgettext3-dev_0.14.2-14_darwin-powerpc.deb (--install):
conflicting packages - not installing libgettext3-dev
/sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/base/libgettext3- dev_0.14.2-14_darwin-powerpc.deb
### execution of dpkg failed, exit code 1
Failed: can't install package libgettext3-dev-0.14.2-14

Creating/updating cache of fink package listings for command completions

[EMAIL PROTECTED] 510 % fink remove gettext-dev
Information about 4666 packages read in 2 seconds.
dpkg --remove gettext-dev
dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of gettext-dev:
fink-buildlock-kdelibs3-ssl-3.4.1-21 depends on gettext-dev; however:
  Package gettext-dev is to be removed.
dpkg: error processing gettext-dev (--remove):
dependency problems - not removing
gettext-dev
### execution of dpkg failed, exit code 1
ERROR: Can't remove package(s). If the above error message mentions dependency problems, you can try
  fink remove --recursive gettext-dev
This will attempt to remove the package(s) specified as well as ALL packages that depend on it.
Failed: can't remove package gettext-dev

Creating/updating cache of fink package listings for command completions

[EMAIL PROTECTED] 511 % fink remove --recursive gettext-dev
Information about 4666 packages read in 2 seconds.
apt-get remove gettext-dev
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  fink-buildlock-kdelibs3-ssl-3.4.1-21 gettext-dev
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 180kB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
(Reading database ... 65929 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing fink-buildlock-kdelibs3-ssl-3.4.1-21 ...
Removing gettext-dev ...

=================
% fink --version
Package manager version: 0.24.7
Distribution version: 0.8.0.rsync

% sw_vers
ProductName:    Mac OS X
ProductVersion: 10.4.1
BuildVersion:   8B15

--
Kevin Horton

It's not new, and in such cases you should just remove the buildlock rather than the actual package.

--AH