Using a local server for unstable debs, I have a long-standing quibble with apt-get: It often doesn't understand that a package is already installed and "apt-get dist-upgrade" downloads and installs many packages, sometimes hundreds of packages, whose exact same version is already installed. I have complained about this on the lists and have a bug tracker item open, but apparently no one else understands this either, although it has been observed by others already years ago, at least every time a new bindist comes out.

I have a symmetrical problem with fink --use-binary-dist: It very often, and apparently randomly, refuses to use the binary dist, although the package it is going to install does exist there.

The latest fight I have with this is related to a little script that I want to distribute to our local Fink users. The idea is that new Fink users or those who just have upgraded to Tiger use Fink's official 0.8.0 binary installer and then run this script (which is double-clickable).

It installs versions of /sw/etc/fink.conf and /sw/etc/apt/sources.list that are adapted to our local situation and contain in particular the address of our local unstable deb server, and fink.conf has unstable enabled and UseBinaryDist: true. At the end it runs fink selfupdate-rsync to bring the Fink distribution from the stable one contained in the Fink binary installer to an up-to-date unstable-enabled state. This command should download the latest versions of fink and the base packages in binary form from the server. Often it doesn't do this and starts to compile things from source which is very annoying, because instead of a couple of seconds, it then takes almost 20 minutes even on a dual G5.

This is also more or less random, in that it works as intended when I test it, and it works also most of the time when users run the commands from the command line, but when they use the script, it annoyingly starts compiling almost all the time. I have preceded the fink selfupdate by "fink scanpackages", "apt-get update" and by "fink update fink" (which always does use the binary dist as it should), but to no avail.

I could, of course, use apt-get directly, or update the base packages one by one, but since this is clearly a bug in Fink, I am still hoping that someone who knows about these things will be able to repair it. I don't believe that I am the only one seeing this. I rather suspect that others have given up on --use-binary-dist because of this flaky behavior and haven't said anything, because it isn't considered very important anyway. At least that's what I have done until now.

Any help welcome