On Jul 26, 2005, at 7:47 PM, Kyle Moffett wrote:
I think I remember that it used to create/update apt-get package lists for local filesystem repositories, so that when running dselect you can see what deb files are on the local filesystem, even if they aren't installed
at the moment.

As akh pointed out, fink scanpackages does this now. Note that if you use Fink from CVS HEAD, and install the package apt-ftparchive, scanpackages runs much faster than it used to--but for some reason we left this feature out of 0.24.8, I'm not sure why.

Personally I much prefer aptitude to deselect, even when not
using it to just install packages, because it allows one to mark packages as "installed only due to dependency" and it will automatically remove them
when the depending package goes away or is upgraded.

I use 'debfoster' for this.

Dave