Dear Fink developers,

I have updated the gettext and libiconv packages: the new versions are currently in experimental/dmrrsn/base if anybody would like to help test.

For gettext, in addition to bringing the program to the latest version, the division into splitoffs has been refactored to more closely match the packaging advice given by the upstream authors. One effect of this is that libgettext3 can be built without having the expat library installed, which will improve bootstrapping once libgettext3 moves into the list of essential packages. The libraries which depend on expat are now in the libgettextpo2-shlibs package (a splitoff of the new gettext-tools package).

For libiconv, we now build a private copy of gettext during the compilation of libiconv. This should, at long last, solve the problems people have had with building or rebuilding libiconv when the wrong combination of libiconv-dev, gettext-dev, and libgettext3- dev were present.

I will move these to unstable rather soon; any testing reports would be appreciated.

  Thanks,
  Dave