Chris Dolan wrote:
On Nov 5, 2005, at 5:45 PM, Alexander K. Hansen wrote:

A problem opposite to the one that you mentioned also occurs:
building on different machines with different packages that solve the
same virtual dependency (e.g. Xorg vs. Apple's X11) will generally
result in more than one MD5 for the same package.

Hmm... Then, wouldn't that be a problem for bindist in general?

It is clear that systems which want to contribute to the bindist must satisfy a certain number of health safety standards, for example

- Fink must be installed in /sw which is not a symlink to some other place (because the true Fink root will be hardcoded in a few packages)

- X11 must be Apple's X11, not some other flavor

- perl must be Apple's perl

- the dev tools must be the latest released Xcode, no prerelease stuff

- fink itself must be a released version, no CVS HEAD or other branch

There are certainly quite a few other similar rules of hygiene to respect that will all but exlude package building for the bindist on your run-of-the-mill Fink developer system.

Even respecting all those standards will get you different MD5s on different systems. This is indeed already a well-known problem now: If you run "fink -b install" or "apt-get dist-upgrade", it will happily download and install a bunch of binary packages for versions you already have installed. And apt-get doesn't even compute MD5s. See the thread http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.os.macosx.fink.devel/11027 for more details.

Having said this, I would be very happy if we found a system that allowed us to populate the "current" subtree of the bindist in between releases. There are quite a few broken packages in the bindist (maxima and pari-gp, to name two of them that embarrassed me yesterday(*)), but they are not vital, so nobody bothers to put a corrected version into the bindist.

(*) The author of TeXmacs tried to see how his program works on the Mac, so he downloaded the 0.8.0 installer and followed instructions. Then he described his experience to me. In short, it was a catastrophe; two of the more blatant bugs being that the maxima and pari-gp plugins were not working. They are working with more recent versions, of course, but not with the stuff from the bindist.