Hi Sébastian,
I've added the ConfFiles field to the pyx info file exactly with the idea that it would have been shared between different variants. Anyway re-reading the packaging manual I've noticed that (citing from the manual):

When a package is "remove"d, the configuration files will remain on disk. Only a "purge" also removes the configuration files.

AFAICU this is the reason why dpkg fails when you try to replace - py24 variant with the -py23 one.

A quick-and-dirty solution is to remove the ConfFiles field from the info file. In the mid-term I'll try to make a split-off for the package in order that all the variants can share common files and data.

 Andrea