On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 11:11:28PM -0800, Christopher Frederick wrote:
> Good day everyone,
>
> This may be a case of RTFM, but I was interested in potentially
> working on an OS X port of Duplicity (http://www.nongnu.org/
> duplicity) and was unable to find specific instructions on how to go
> about doing this.  In particular, what are the differences
> between .deb packages for Debian and those for OS X?  Should a
> document already be online for this (perhaps on Debian's site, and
> not Fink's?), could anyone kindly point me in that direction?
>
> Thank you in advance for any assistance,

Fink is not Debian, Debian is not Fink. Fink is a fully independent
entity that just happens to use some Debian tools under-the-hood at
this time...they really don't care about us at all:)

Technically, the .deb file format is the same (though .deb are not
portable between 'debian linux' and 'os x' platforms because the CPU
architecture and kernel libs are different) and we use dpkg and apt
for handling compiled binary packages. However, as far as package
construction, fink does not use Debian's tools or "source packages" at
all...we have a custom-written build system.

The "Docunmentation" section of the Fink website:
  http://fink.sourceforge.net/doc
contains a comprehensive specification of the package description file
format (which is closer to an RPM .spec file than anythin from Debian)
and a tutorial on writing a basic fink package.

dan

--
Daniel Macks
[EMAIL PROTECTED]