Murali Vadivelu wrote:
Dear Developers,

Using the above command line utility it is possible to get a basic information of the kind and number of processors present. Why can't fink use this information and automatically set a compiler flag (like, -mcpu=7450 -mdynamic-no-pi) env variable for the builds to be optimised for the unstable (and compile on their own) branch users, and maybe, even have respective binaries available for the stable branch users.

Please give your thoughts or opinion.

Many thanks.

Well, there are 2 questions implicit in your question.  :)

1. parallel builds

Many packages have problems with building parallel; I've fixed a lot of them in working with distcc (setting MAKEFLAGS to -j1) but I'm sure there's more brokenness out there. Perhaps instead of making packages "opt out" of parallel builds, we should make a flag for "opt in" to parallel builds.

  BuildParallel: true

2. optimizations

One of Fink's design goals is to produce the same binary no matter where it's built. While it is possible to hack Fink yourself to modify optimization flags, it's not officially supported.