Koen van der Drift wrote:
[]
util.c:945: error: label at end of compound statement

AFAICT this was promoted from warning to error already in gcc-3.4.0, so any Apple gcc-4.0 should be treating this as an error.
[]
[]
   default:

   }        <--- line 945

Maybe there should be a break; after the default: ?

Or just a ";", or remove the "default:" line altogether.

I could patch the util.c file to fix that, but I was wondering why it works on my system but not on his.

Were both using this compiler:

Default compiler has been set to:
gcc version 4.0.0 20041026 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 4061)

I would double-check whether the "gcc" that fink uses in your case is really gcc-4.0 and not gcc-3.3.