Benjamin Place wrote:
[]
You need a binary gnat to build gnat from source.
gnu.org doesn't have any binaries that'll run on OS X.

macada.org does, but can I make a package that's
binary-only? That would be fine, I guess. Maybe I
could make a source package that depends on the binary
package.

I think the line should be drawn precisely between these two possibilities (but this is open for discussion, of course):

Making a binary-only package, or downloading the precompiled madaca stuff as part of your source and installing it into /usr/local/ada, I would not consider compatible with Fink's philosophy.

OTOH, requiring the user to do this and having your package check whether the user did it, I would consider acceptable.

For a while we had a package (gnuplot) that did download a precompiled binary (aquaterm) as part of its build process, but this was always considered an anomaly, and it was a relief when aquaterm could finally be built as a normal Fink package.