Emmanuele Salvati wrote:
[]
ii apt 0.5.4-52 Advanced front-end for dpkg

I am fishing in the dark, but you could try to update the apt package to 0.5.4-53 and see if this changes anything.
[]
> now fink install works. i am able to install xemacs-sumo-pkg (but i
> don't know where is the executable xemacs!!)

You need to install the "xemacs" package in addition to xemacs-sumo. Xemacs-sumo says that it contains "All xemacs packages together", but this means all "packages" in the sense of xemacs packages, not in the sense of Fink packages.

[]
./Notify/exports.......................# Failed test (./Notify/exports.t at line 6)
#     Tried to require 'Fink::Notify'.
# Error: Fink/Notify.pm did not return a true value at (eval 1) line 2.
# Looks like you failed 1 tests of 2.
dubious

Yeah, dubious. Apart from some remains of a former Growl installation, I don't know what could be the cause of this. Maybe someone with more insight into the Notify stuff on Panther can reply.