Mike Zanker wrote:
Sorry - a little off-topic but I guess there is expertise here :) I

I would suggest to go on a more specialized forum like darwin-dev.
Or file a bug with Apple directly.

tried running /usr/sbin/snmpd on a new Mac Mini core duo - it just gives
the error message:

init_kmem: kvm_openfiles failed: /dev/mem: No such file or directory

I don't get the error, but snmpd doesn't work for me either. It just silently quits.

Yes, there is no /dev/kmem or /dev/mem on Mac/intel. This is weird. I haven't seen it discussed anywhere although it breaks the whole documented kvm interface.

Is there a way to create /dev/mem?

Maybe, but this doesn't sound like something a user should play with. If they removed it, they probably had their reasons. Judging from Apple's past behavior, I think it is quite possible that some kernel security guy did this and never told anyone else about it.

To bring it more on-topic - if I built the fink net-snmp is it likely to
suffer from the same problem?

No idea, but it sounds likely.