On Jul 29, 2006, at 5:01 PM, Lars Rosengreen wrote:

>> > On a sort of related note, another common lisp implementation I
>> > maintain now has a 64bit G5 specific version in addition to the
>> > original generic powerpc version.  What can I do to ensure that
>> only
>> > someone with a G5 installs the G5 version?  Is there a virtual
>> package
>> > or something I can depend on?
>>
>> What do you mean by a 64bit version?  Is this a version with 64bit
>> libraries and 64bit executables?  (You can determine this by using /
>> usr/bin/file, or attempting to run otool on the files, which won't
>> work for 64bit files -- there is a corresponding otool64 for them.)
>> 64bit libraries cannot be mixed and matched with 32bit libraries, and
>> the tentative decision for fink is to use %p/lib64 instead of %p/lib
>> for these libraries.  There is only one package at the moment which
>> builds 64bit libraries, gmp-64bit, which you could use as a guide.
>> Some of its features were described in an aerlier post to fink-devel:
>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.apple.fink.devel/13045
>
> This package (64bit version of openmcl) doesn't create any libraries,
> but there is an executable and lisp heap image, both 64bit, and both
> specific to 64bit powerpc processors.  Hmm I suppose what I could do
> is depend on the 64bit-cpu virtual package and then also have an
> Architecture: powerpc line in the info file.  That seems  like it
> should work.  I'm not sure about the package name, though.  Following
> your lead, I should name the package openmcl-64bit, which seems a
> little too generic in this case.  Maybe openmcl-ppc64bit?

Well, I've been trying to set this up so that when we have 64bit
intel processors, one can use the same names, install locations, etc.
for 64bit objects on either processor.  Thus, I would recommend using
the Architecture: powerpc flag, but not including ppc in the package
name, since someday a similar facility may become available for intel
as well.

   -- Dave