On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 12:06:14PM -0400, David Fang wrote:
> Hi,
>       I'm trying to write a .info for 'delta' (http://delta.tigris.org)
> tool but encounter quirky behavior during fetch.  Whether I run the curl
> command manually or run fink fetch (use original source location), the
> curl progress line just flashes, makes no progress for 5 sec. and fails.
> Can anyone else confirm or explain this behavior or correct what I'm doing
> wrong?  Incidentally, "wget <url>" works just fine.
>       This is what I see:
>
> curl -f -L -O
> http://delta.tigris.org/files/documents/3103/33566/delta-2006.08.03.tar.gz
>   % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time
> Current
>                                  Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
> 100   321  100   321    0     0     44      0  0:00:07  0:00:07 --:--:--     0
> (flashing with:)
>   0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0

Instead of a simple file download, it's using cookies (for download
tracking or active session control or somesuch). That .tar.gz URL
actually returns a cookie and a redirect to URL in a servlet system.
But curl redirect handling doesn't seem to pass cookies over a
redirect. So the servlet gets no cookie, which causes it to redirect
back to the original URL in order to have it set the cookie. Lather,
rinse, repeat. Tell them (politely) that this is crazy and broken, and
you'd be happy to use their software and help others become users of
their software if they'd provide you a direct download link.

dan

--
Daniel Macks
[EMAIL PROTECTED]