On Aug 25, 2006, at 9:23 AM, Alexander K. Hansen wrote:

> I'm cc'ing Fink-devel on this one to fill in any gaps in my knowledge.
>
> On 8/25/06, Robert Stroud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Alexander,
>>
>> Clytie apparently needs gettext-0.15 but fink and darwin ports only
>> have gettext-0.14 for some reason. However, gettext-0.15 seems to
>> build fine on my machine, so how hard would it be to upgrade the
>> existing gettext package descriptor used by fink to version 0.15? Is
>> fink leveraging some existing package system, or does it use its own
>> package descriptors?
>>

> Fink uses Debian's tools, and has its own descriptors as well for
> build-time.
>
> The primary issue with gettext is that it's an essential package, so
> any update to it has nontrivial consequences.  This is why it took
> forever to update it from 0.10.40 to 0.14.5 in the stable tree.
>
>> What happens if there's stuff installed that depends on gettext? Will
>> it depend on a particular version of gettext, and will it get rebuilt
>> if gettext is upgraded?

The big problem with this particular upgrade is that the major
version number of the library has apparently changed (or perhaps its
just the build system that changed, and the library has been
renumbered).

In the context of OS X, this means that any package which depends on
libgettext3-shlibs can't simply be updated, because the new library
file will have a different name (a name containing the number "8"
rather than the number "3").

Eventually, folks can expect to see a libgettext8-shlibs package, and
a gradual transition from libgettext3 to libgettext8.

   -- Dave