Sorry Justin _ just thought this deserves wider discussion ...
So a number of cc's ...

JF

On 06 Sep 2006, at 00:37, TheSin wrote:

> oh I forgot about libxine,
And dont forget whatever gst-plugins-good-0.10 (or something like
that...)
> I thought I got everything that deped on 5.  Thanks yet again, I'm
> gonna try and get to this stuff in a few hours, I just got back
> into the office, been in meetings all day.  Like I have been
> preching for awhile, we almost need one shlib per shlibs pkg, cause
> they don't always update all at the same time.

So happy to hear this !  Finally basic logic retuns ...
The 'shlibs-policy' seems conceptually a complete confusion between
properties of a pkg
and properties of individual libs within them ..
And with pkgs (eg, seamonkey, evolution in my exp dir), with dozens
of shlibs, it is hopeless
  _ just a nightmare : the set itself of shlibs changes with every
change in either %c or %v  or ...
Given that we have in addition a "Shlibs" field, which DOES give to
fink all relevant info
about individual libs within a pkg, we shouldn't have to distinguish
between individual libs
within a '-shlibs' splitoff (I mean , split the splittoff into
whatever subsets _
such subdivision varies with very change in %c and %v ; hence is un-
maintainable)

the confusion within fink seems to be really here :

_ the pkg-specific  things in should be "item1" (ie, the "SpilOffs"-
shlibs field ...)
_ the lib-specific things should be "item2" _ ie, the ShLibs field _
and fink has all liberty  to re-interpret such things in dpkg dep
instructions etc)

I.e., _ the current type of setup for info files is exactly right,
but  there is a lot of work to be done
by fink to use the information correctly.